Finkl Steel is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of forging die steels, plastic injection mold steels, die casting tool steels, forged alloy bar, and custom open die forgings. Finkl Steel is a member of international Swiss Steel Group and manufactures products at three production facilities in Chicago, Quebec, and Detroit. We sell our products in North America and to 18 countries worldwide. With more than 100 patents, our steel formulations and steelmaking technologies set worldwide standards. In recognition of Finkl Steel’s product quality, our facilities were the first in America to receive ISO 9000 registration.
The Operations Manager directs the activities of various machining areas, shipping, and the Service Center to ensure the safety and effectiveness of all members of the team, develops new processes, procedures, and uses continuous improvement tools to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and deliver on time to our customers.
- Leads with a safety first approach
- Drives improvement in key measures of delivery, cost, and productivity through continuous improvement tools and activities
- Walks the shop throughout the day to ensure all employees are performing their jobs safely and efficiently
- Reviews backlogs to expedite orders that are at risk of being late and collaborates with Production Control to determines the schedule
- Troubleshoots problems and solves production issues and logistics
- Stays in communication with the Sales, Maintenance, HR, Metallurgy and Management teams
- Manages the entire personnel life cycle (hiring, evaluation, discipline, etc.) of teammates comprised of both union and management employees
- Reviews internal systems and business processes for effectiveness, researches and considers new approaches, develops and deploys.
- Conducts safety observations and 5S Audits
- Performs departmental administrative functions as needed
- Coaches and develops subordinates
- Drives safety and ensures all employees are adhering to safety procedures and rules.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Field of study: Business Management, Technical Degree
- 5-7 Years’ Experience in related field a plus
- Manufacturing or Steel industry experience a plus
- 3-5 Years’ Supervisor Experience Required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required
- Fluent in English, oral & written
- Additional languages a plus
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- 401k Match Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Company Paid Life & AD&D Insurance